Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Oldies but Goodies

I visited a friend's blog tonight and it made me laugh and feel glad that I have the privilege of being part of a very special club...The Old Mommies Club. I am 47 and I have nine children ages 1, 6, 6, 10, 14, 15, 17, 21, and 22! She wrote on the trials and joys of being a mother again at the age of 42. I understand her completely. Let me tell you about a week in the life of mom like me...
This week happens to be Spring break. Most of the time, since we home school, we take our breaks at times when everyone else is in school(it makes for shorter lines). But this year it just worked out that this was the week that most of my older kids had events with friends. So, this left me to be the break coordinator for the three little girls with baby on my back. Day one was The Children's Museum. I rubbed elbows with millions of mommies twenty years my junior. I love the look I get whenever people realize all these little girls are sisters. Inevitable someone will ask the questions of how many children I have and the usual jaw-drop happens. Actually, when it happened today for the third time I really was a little fed up. Sometimes I feel like an oddity, somewhere between an angelic host and a circus freak. Day two was rollerskating. I must admit I was not able to actually skate since Meseret was on my back again, but I was the walking guide as not one of the three little girls had ever skated before. Luckily, my fourteen year old son went with me and helped take the girls around the rink a few times. The next day the little girls stayed home with one of the older kids so I could go to the Social Security office(once again...baby on my back) and get Etsegenet and Meseret's numbers. This took almost two hours. Day four, that was today, I took them to the Science Museum. They spent a couple of hours looking around and I spent a couple of hours watching them look around and taking people to the bathroom and getting everyone a lunch. Again, I was fortunate that my 15 year old, Angelina, pushed Meseret all day in the stroller. After the museum it was dentist appointments and then tonight our family went to a play. I have not planned tomorrow yet, but Ray is taking the day off so we can do it together!
I hope this gives you an idea of one week in my life. Although it is not usually Spring break, the activity level daily is like this or greater: Homeschooling, ballet classes, soccer games, gymnastics, piano lessons, an occasional lunch with my mother, doctor appointments, dentist appointments, birthdays, play group....the list goes on and on. Sometimes I am exhausted by all the energy I expend on a daily basis and I must admit that this week my back definitely feels my age. But, God provides the times of refreshment I need to keep up with my family( yes, I do take naps, and Ray and I have date night once a week). I think too many woman miss the opportunity of embracing their own motherhood to its fullest extent because they feel they will miss out on their own time. Yet, I am happy and thankful when God opened my eyes to the knowledge that children truly are a blessing from Him I was able to cast out my fear of losing myself and open my heart to the joy of motherhood all the way through to its maturity!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I lost sight of that blessing for a few years in my life as I got in a selfish mode and thought about what I would be able to do for myself when the kids were grown. God has a way of snapping us out of it and I am so glad He did!

What many blessings I would have missed out on without the girls to keep me busy and young! ha

p.s. OMSI was fun!

small world said...

Lori,
I know you of all people understand this concept. I pray others will understand for the sake of the kingdom. You are right about the girls keeping you young! And yes, OMSI was fun. Maybe the zoo next.
T

Lisa H. said...

I laughed out loud at your comment about the "Old Moms Club"....I thought I coined that phrase! I'm 44 and have 7 kids (20, 17, 14, 10, 7, 6, and 1). The first 3 are bio., the next three are adopted from India and our baby girl came home Ethiopia in August. And I relate very much to the busyness of such a large family with so many needs. It's hard to go from filling out the FAFSA to playing Pat-A-Cake, isn't it! The whole time I was reading this post I kept thinking, "How can her back survive that much baby time?" But I'm having the time of my life and am SO grateful for what God has done in my life!

I enjoy your blog very much and would love to meet sometime.... We live in Walla Walla but come thru the Portland area from time to time. I want to meet Lori too (we've emailed as adoptive moms with kiddos from India). Perhaps sometime when your group gets together I could throw the kids in the car for a trip!

Blessings to you!

Lisa H.