Sunday, October 26, 2008

Working it Through

We have been here in Addis for two days now and it is hard to describe or process the feelings about what I have seen and experienced here so far.  I find it hard to sleep tonight. My mind repeats the images of poverty and brokenness all around:  Mothers nursing babies on the roadside with only an umbrella as a home, staring blankly, Old men with one pant leg safety pinned around the stump of what was once their other limb, A blind beggar woman reaching into space hoping for a coin, and the vista from the Addis View Hotel…a shanty town of tin shacks.  Yet as disturbing as these images are I have also seen a side of Addis that brings hope:  A few, like our guide, a young man of twenty-six, have lifted themselves out of the depths of poverty and despair by shear grit and determination.  Step by step they mark a road to a better life for others to follow.  As I sat next to him in church today and worshipped the same God who loves this man and these people I felt unity in that place. Yet I cannot understand this puzzle I have experience here.  I am sure there is much God wants us to learn.  In his time revelations will happen.

In a few hours I will meet my children for the first time. Ray and I will be the first in our group to be introduced to Beautiful E as she is the oldest child meeting parents today. I wonder if she will like me, I wonder if she is as nervous as I am right now. I love her although I have not met her. I have committed my life to this child.  It is a lot like an arranged marriage, you choose to become family with a complete stranger and the feelings will grow into an inseparable bond as time goes on.  We will have our time with Beautiful E while the other families in alphabetical order will hold their children for the first time. The bonds will be welded together in that courtyard past the green gate.   Then it will be Meseret's turn to come home into my arms.  I love this baby that came from a difficult beginning into her life of love, and family, and hope, and eternity.  How is it that these few precious little ones are the chosen?  There a five million people in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia alone, yet only five babies were chosen this day to have a ticket to the land of opportunity. Beautiful E has a family, and a bed, and new clothes, and food, and education waiting for her in America, yet one piece of paper and a rubber stamp keep her back from her future.  It is a puzzle I cannot solve tonight. So my prayers have gone up to the God of the universe that loves each man, woman and child on this entire planet and knows each of them individually.  I have petitioned, and pleaded, and cried out for a chance that my daughter will be released from her paper jail so that her future is secure.  God knows and I await his answer on my daughter, in faith, regardless of the outcome.  We are in his hands.


14 comments:

Kimberly Kulp said...

We are praying for you and little E! May God release her so that you can be united as a forever family. She is going to ADORE you!

"Come to me all you who are weary and burdened and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me for my burden is easy and my yoke is light."

Kim

Karen said...

Theresa - What a day! Savor every moment!! We are praying for you and both your daughters in Ethiopia. with love, Karen Wistrom

Patty said...

Very well said! We are praying for you. I can't wait for you to hug your girls. Please tell mine we love her SO much! Can't wait for you to be home with BOTH girls.

Love,
Patty

Theresa Tate said...

Our prayers are with you, Theresa!

Kari said...

Theresa,
Your post has touched my heart so deeply this morning. We are praying fervently for miracles!!! This is your Gotcha Day...holding your 2 angels in your arms. Your beautiful Segi will LOVE YOU with all her sweet heart!!! Your entire big family is an inspiration and God has blessed these children indeed being in your family. Please give the girls a huge hug from aunti:)))
We wait anxiously for news of today. Thank you for expressing your heart & joys for us to share this journey with you!!!
Love you,
Kari:)

Rebecca Caldwell said...

We are praying for you and asking God to help you process all that you are experiencing. What a blessing.

Jody Britton said...

Beautifully worded. I can't imagine what that will feel like. I pray for the judges favor for you all.

Anonymous said...

Hi Theresa-
I'm praying so much for you everyday...all day! For your kids at home, for you and Ray, for the release of E. Thanks for sharing, I check it everyday to hear an update...no pressure :o)
God is in control!
Angi N.

Jaime said...

As i read your post, tears fall down my eyes. I pray knowing "your cup overflows" today. soak in the wonderful blessings of God today. we hang on your every word here in louisiana!

Nunez Family said...

WOW you guys...As you write I can feel your hear, love & passion:)
God is so mighty right now in these moments & you deserve them all!
We will continue to declare victory in E's home comming:))))
Love & Blssings,
Ana, San & Josiah Desalegn

Gina said...

You have a beautiful way with words. You moved me to tears. Praying for you.
Gina (fellow yahoo'r)DTE 8/29

Anonymous said...

Cant wait to see you all. Anna is doing a Great Job taking care of the girls. You have prepared her well. Wilma

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to have a word from you! I have been fervently praying for all of you. I know the special moment this will be as you meet these children of your heart. Treasure it. God is in control of even the court in Ethiopia.

Lori Schneider

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing your heart here for us to see and experience. We can not truly understand what you are going through but we get a glimse in your words. I'm sure your heart overflows with emotion as you hold your two daughters today. May God richly bless you as you are blessing these children.
Love always, Rebecca