Wednesday, December 3, 2008

SHOTS!!!

Yikes! We had to go to the doctor today for Etsegenet's first checkup. What an ordeal that was! Luckily they got an interpreter on the phone so that everything was carefully explained to E. Still, no matter how much explanation you give a child shots are traumatic, and this was no exception. At the first sight of a needle E began to wail! Two nurses were needed to hold her for her two shots in each arm and a TB test. After all this they brought out the blood draw kit and two more nursed were needed to keep E's arm still so they could retrieve a sample. She just cried and cried! Poor little thing. Once it was all through she clung to me. So many changes for one child, it is hard for her to understand this really is good for her. But after it was all over I let her pick what she wanted for lunch. The choice was pizza so we went over to the local mall's food court and had a lovely familiar lunch. She even tried a bite of my Indian food and liked it. Overall, even with the trauma of the shots, we had a great day of mother-daughter bonding. I must say that of all the brave people there are in the world, I think adopted children rank right up there with the bravest of all!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember having to hold down Carly for many years even for flu shots. Poor E. Wilma

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog through the Taylor's blog. Your daughter E is absolutely gorgeous! Congratulations!!

Roscoe and Julia Richardson said...

Yes yes! These children truly are brave :) So glad you're all doing so well!

tisha said...

Poor Etsegenet... Shots are hard. It's wonderful that she came to you for comfort after it was over though. I think you're right adopted children are very brave and very strong.

I'm so glad to hear that your girls are doing so well! :)
Tisha

Anonymous said...

I hope you had a great day at the zoo! What weather. Amazing. I wish we could have come. I have a craft sale tomorrow and was trying to get my act together today.

You are right, they are brave. I am constantly amazed. All that they have to face that they have never seen or experienced before and with complete strangers who don't even speak their language!

Kira is horrible for shots. :-) It is so hard. We talk about it beforehand and she assures me she will sit still and not fight - knowing that makes it hurt worse! But, with all her good intentions once she knows it is coming she fights and screams. We just finished up the last of them. I am so glad!

They do have to go back in a month for a TB redo test. Should be interesting. :-)

Looking forward to seeing you soon.

Anonymous said...

Hi Ray,

It's your man-friend :-) It's actually a very "macho" term in the motocross circles...we just all got fed up with our women having "girl friends" so this was our comeback...I know, it's a tad immature, but it puts a smile on my face nonetheless...
Well, this is my first post on a blog. Sorry to read about the doctor's visit...we just got our last hep shots this week and I can sympathize with Etsegenet...needles are no fun...OK, have a great weekend and greetings to everyone...Dietrich